Bruce Park Christmas Display

Bruce Park

Bruce Park is located at the four-corner stop in downtown Darien.  It is the oldest park in the Village. 

John Bruce came to Darien in 1837 and purchased all of Section 27 and set aside a three acre section, in perpretuity, to be known as "The Commons."  It extended from the Beloit and Milwaukee road to the east end of the school property.

One of the uses of the park was a place for soldiers to drill.  A settlement grew up around the park.  This was known as "Bruceville" until 1840 when the community became known as Darien, after a similarly named town in Genessee County, New York, from where several families of influence had come.